Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Getting Started With Xvid

This is a rough guide for developers who are interested in using xvid as part of their application or contributing to xvid itself. I am just getting started and I just wanted to make my learnings useful to everyone. Below is the steps in order that I followed:

* Download the source code from here. If you want to grab the source code from CVS refer this page for instructions
* There are couple of readme files that comes along with the source code, but the main file to refer for building is doc/INSTALL. Follow the instructions in this file for building it on your platform.
* Once you build and install the libraries try out the examples that comes with the source. It is inside the examples directory
* Run make from the examples directory to compile all the examples
* Run the example programs without any arguments to view the help information
* The source code of these example programs is the starting point to understand the api's provided by xvid
* There is no official documentation as of now for xvid except for the readme files and documentation in code. This is in progress as I heard from xvid-devel list

4 comments:

codeshepherd said...

I still don't understand what Xvid is ..

Raju said...

HI
This is Narsimha Raju, I m working in Multimedia security. Does this library allows us to detect I, P and B frames from a video and Extract the DCT coefficents and motion vectors of those frames. i dono abt this library and i am new to this group.
Thanks in advance
nice idea to help people like me.

codeshepherd said...

@narsimha .. so does it mean you can dig deleted content from a video ?

Raju said...

HI
I Just want to read and write the MPEG video. for that i need to extract the DCT coefficients and motion vectors of I P adn B frames